Free Tax Preparation & EITC
Earn It! Keep It! Save It! VITA Program
Households earning up to $60,000 are eligible to use the free services of a VITA site.
Tax returns are prepared by trained volunteers certified by the IRS
Documents needed to prepare return:
- W-2 for all jobs worked in 2022
- Copy of Social Security Card or ITIN for each family member
- Copy of all 1099 forms for other income
- Copy of picture ID for the taxpayer and spouse, if applicable
- Copy of Form 1095-A and Form 3895 (state form) for Covered CA, if applicable
- Child Care provider information: Name, Address, and Tax ID, if available
- Canceled check for direct deposit of tax refund
- Copy of 2021 Tax return – pages 1 & 2, and Schedules 1, 2 & 3, if applicable
Please, copies only, no original documents.
VIRTUAL – to file your return, visit GetYourRefund.org/vcunitedway. You must be able to upload, download and print documents in order to use. You will be contacted by a tax preparation volunteer.
DROP-OFF – For assistance completing your taxes without an appointment, drop off an envelope marked VITA with copies of your tax documents at the front desk or in the secure mailbox at one of the following locations:
- Ventura Community Service Center – 4651 Telephone Road, #200, Ventura
- East County Community Service Center – 2900 N. Madera Rd., Simi Valley
Lobby hours are Monday-Thursday 8:30 am to 4 pm
Secure mailboxes available 24/7
In addition to the forms listed above the following Forms are Needed with Drop-Off:
- Form 13614-C Intake/Interview (Formulario 13614-C en español)
- Form 14446 Virtual Consent (Formulario 14446 en español)
- Selfie of taxpayer holding picture ID to verify identity
If your household earned $73,000 or less in 2022, one option for those with a simple return, (for example, a single filer with up to two W-2’s) you may file your taxes online for free at www.MyFreeTaxes.org.
*A household includes all individuals listed on your tax return.
What is the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a tax credit for low- to moderate-income working families and individuals. The EITC can help you reduce your tax liability and, in many cases, put money in your pocket.
To qualify for the EITC, you must have worked during at least part of 2022 and meet certain income requirements.
You must file your taxes to receive the EITC, even if you did not earn enough money to be required to file.
The EITC benefit is retroactive for three years, so review whether you filed for the EITC in recent years. If you meet the eligibility requirements and have not filed for the previous three years you may be entitled to an even larger refund check!
Who Qualifies for CalEITC and Young Child Tax Credit?
If you have low income and work, you may qualify for CalEITC. This credit gives you a refund or reduces your tax owed.
If you meet the CalEITC requirement and have a child younger than 6 years old all of the 2022 tax year, you may also qualify for the Young Child Tax Credit. The maximum filers may receive is $1,000 per family.
Together, these state credits can put hundreds or even thousands of dollars in your pocket. Filing your state tax return is required to claim both of these credits.
Check if you qualify for CalEITC
You may qualify for CalEITC if:
- You’re at least 18 years old.
- You have earned income of $30,000 or less
The amount of CalEITC you may get depends on your income and family size.
- Have taxable earned income.
- Have a valid Social Security Number or ITIN for you, your spouse, or any qualifying children.
- File jointly if married.
- Have lived in California for more than 6 months in 2022.
- Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return
Sources of earned income
Income can be from:
- W-2 wages.
- Salaries, tips.
- Other employee wages subject to California withholding.
What you’ll get
Review the chart below to see how much you may get when you file your tax year 2022 return. The following income guidelines for the 2022 Tax Year will help you determine if you may be eligible for CalEITC. The threshold is based on
HOW MUCH CAN I RECEIVE FROM CALEITC?
|2022 CalEITC credit|
|Number of qualifying children||California maximum income||CalEITC (up to)||IRS EITC (up to)|
|3 or more||$30,000||$3,417||$6,935|
CalEITC Calculator – https://www.caleitc4me.org/
Will this affect my government benefits?
Participation in free tax preparation or any other additional services will not impact CalWORKS, CalFRESH, or Medi-Cal benefits.
Foster Youth Tax Credit
You may qualify for up to $1,083 cash back if you were in California foster care between the ages of 13 and 18. Learn more here.